Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Roly Hollyoake, 92 Year old Man of Interest

Most people can’t even imagine making it to age 92, but bartender Roly Hollyoake is still healthier and more active than some people in their 30s.

Hollyoake, a resident at Victoria Landing, is allegedly the oldest licensed bartender in North America, and he doesn’t plan on stopping any time soon.

“I enjoy helping out at the bistro here for happy hours,” said Hollyoake, who volunteers twice a week serving drinks to residents, “It keeps me busy and gives me a chance to talk to people and share jokes.”

Hollyoake has been in the bartending business for over 40 years, but only got his license last year after Victoria Landing told him it was required to continue volunteering.

Hollyoake didn’t start bartending until around 1975, because before that he was too busy hanging out with movie-stars of his day. After three and a half years serving as a mechanic in the air force, station at Paulson Airport, Hollyoake hitchhiked all the way down to Hollywood.

“Movies really started to interest me after working at the theatre in Dauphin, so I wanted to see Hollywood,” said Hollyoake, “I got to tour all the movie lots and meet lots of stars; it really was something.”

Hollyoake was invited to “Little Mary” Pickford’s estate for a party, and met many movie stars at that time, including Roddy McDowall, whose home Hollyoake spent a weekend at.

After his time spent living it up in Hollywood, Hollyoake hitch hiked his way back up north and home, where he entered the hotel industry in Dauphin.

Around 1975 he moved with his family to run the Souris Motor Inn, where he put most of his time in behind the bar.

Hollyoake was born in England, just 50 miles from London, in a refurbished barn in 1918. He moved to Canada when he was 11 years old, and now has a large family, with five children of his own, and 13 grandchildren and great grandchildren. His wife passed away in 2002.

“I have a good life,” said Hollyoake, “I enjoy good health, I love where I live and I keep myself busy. I’m amazed I’m as old as I am.”

Hollyoake has even more on his resume to keep himself busy; he is also a licensed Marriage Commissioner, and has been performing weddings for the last 17 years.

“Every wedding is entirely different; I enjoy being there to see them all.”

Hollyoake has performed marriages all over, from farms and historical buildings to Mexico and the Peace Gardens. He even performed two at the Victoria Landing facilities a few years ago.

If marrying people, pouring drinks, and hanging out with movie stars isn’t enough for a 92 year old man, Hollyoake was also honoured last February for 61 years of membership in the Lions Club.

Hollyoake spent 1984 as the District Governor in the Lions Club, and during that year he started 17 new clubs in the area, a huge number for only one year of work. He also took on the role of editor of the Lions Club newsletter for 10 years.

“My doctor says that keeping active like I do must help my health,” said Hollyoake, “He said ‘I don’t know what you are doing, but don’t stop, its working!’” Hollyoake enjoys his great health, and gives part of the thanks to never having smoked in his life, an impressive feat considering the past tolerance of cigarettes in bars. He also likes to have a few glasses of wine every week, and plans to continue that tradition for the rest of his days.

Roly Hollyoake is an active member of Victoria Landing, and an inspiration at his age for young people who hope to stay active and healthy into their golden years.

1 comment:

  1. This is good article, cause U take interest not only in young people but also to old people.
    The choice is good cause everyone will take interest in your job.
    Take good care

    Carlos Amevor

    ReplyDelete